Friday, June 4, 2010

Visit to the IND

Went to the IND in Utrecht last night.
For some strange reason I had to pick up my new ID card there.
So I drove the 100 kms or so from work in Delft to Utrecht to catch the late night opening hours, which are 9:00 to 21:00 according to the website.

Arrived at 8:30 to meet the receptionist.
Even though the building was swarming with customers, he informed me sympathetically that the closing time for picking up new ID cards is actually 8 PM, and that they have the wrong hours on the letter I held AND the website.

Nevertheless he left his desk to go to the department and check if someone could help me. He came back soon and said with a reassuring wink that I should wait.

In due course an attractive blonde came out and explained that the cash register in her department closed at 8, so she couldn't help me. I suggested a few alternatives such as: send me a giro, or I'll give her the cash, or I'll pay at another cash register. Alas, all were 'not allowed'.

Rules are rules and must be obeyed in Holland.
So I told her I forgive her because she has beautiful eyes, and enjoyed the long drive home from scenic Utrecht, where the joggers were out in force in the evening sunshine along the old canals.

Are you are looking for a Maastricht house for rent?

No comments:

Post a Comment